A Latin Grammy Award is an award by The Latin Recording Academy to recognize outstanding achievement in the Latin music industry.
The Latin Grammy honors works produced anywhere around the world that were recorded in either Spanish or Portuguese and is awarded in the United States.
(Pictured left-President and CEO of the Latin Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences Gabriel Abaroa Jr. speaks onstage at the Premiere Ceremony during the 20th annual Latin GRAMMY Awards. Photo by Greg Doherty/Getty Images for LARAS)
This year’s Latin GRAMMY Awards event was held on November 14th in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, and the three-hour telecast aired live on the Univision Network.
Rosalía marks historic night for women at Latin Grammys with album of the year win.
The breakthrough performer known for blending flamenco music with sounds like reggaeton and Latin trap, won album of the year, becoming the first solo female performer to win the top honor since Shakira’s triumph 13 years ago.
Annual Latin GRAMMY Awards Key Show Moments:
- Opening musical – Tribute to the legacy Latin music represents – 20 artists performed four iconic songs representing four music genres:
- “La Vida es un Carnaval” – Celia Cruz
- “Querida” – Juan Gabriel
- “Secreto de Amor” – Joan Sebastian
- “De Musica Ligera” – Soda Stereo
- Fernández Family Musical Dynasty
- Historic performance: Three generations perform on the stage for the first time – Vicente (grandfather), Alejandro (son), and Alex (grandson).
- Alex (Te Amare), Alejandro (Caballero), Vicente (La Derrota) all three (Volver Volver), accompanied by El Mariachi Sol de Mexico de Jose Hernandez.
- Immediately after the performance Vicente Fernandez was presented with the Latin Recording Academy President’s Award by Ricky Martin.
- Paula Arenas Performance
- Intimate, powerful female moment with Julio Reyes Copello on piano
- Alejandro Sanz musical
- “Mi Persona Favorita” featuring Camila Cabello (on LED screens), Aitana, Greeicy, and Nella (three of the nominees of Best New Artist)
- Rosalía musical
- World premiere performance of new single “A Palé”
- Fonseca musical
- Celebrating the music of Camilo Sesto
- Singing an acoustic version of a “Perdóname”
- Pedro Capó/Alicia Keys musical
- First time “Calma (Alicia Remix)” is performed with Alicia Keys and Farruko
- Alicia Keys performing new single “Show Me Love” with Miguel and Pedro Capó
- Juanes Receives the Person of The Year Award by Lars Ulrich, drummer from Metallica.
- Juanes has credited Metalica for inspiring his musical career
- Pepe Aguilar musical
- Celebrating the music of José José with an interpretation of “El Triste”
- Ricky Martin musical
- World premiere performance of new single “Cántalo” with Bad Bunny and Residente
- Bad Bunny musical
- Accompanied by a symphonic orchestra
Recipients of President’s Merit Award: The President’s Merit Award is an exceptional honor presented to an exclusive and limited group of individuals for their outstanding career in Latin music and significant contributions to the Latin community.
- Vicente Fernandez